Wednesday, September 5, 2007

ELOTE!!!!!!

Do you know what this is?

I do.

Wanna know why?

Because I work with Pedro, damnit.

Pedro, for all intent and purposes, is the fucking god of corn. When you wake up in your hangovered stupor of morning bliss and reach for the box of corn flakes in the pantry - he is the vato standing there with his donkey saying "buenos dias". The maestro dello corneo, the prince of masa - American Indians come to his house and ask him for advice.

Orville Reddinbacher is in his 5, dude.


Anyhoooooooo...

Pedro has made the best elote that I have had anywhere, and I have had it everywhere. Mexico, Galveston, Corpus Christi, Padre Island and too many places to name in Dallas. Actually, the best place to have elote was in Dallas on Harry Hines Blvd at a gas station by Northwest HWY, but the chick that had the cart died 6 months ago and her son who runs it now is a jerk off.

God rest her corny soul.

Elote is a simple dish of roasted corn with an addition of toppings that you can choose from. It usually includes a protien of some sorts (my fav is carnitas - a slow cooked pork), a variety of cheeses (cotija is best) and a fat of some sort (mayo, sour cream, Mexican crema and even Olive Oil). We offer other toppings that include chopped onion, cilantro, chipotle and so many others I don't want to type them.

I just wanted to throw something out there for Pedro - he has become my right hand as of late and I need to let people know what an asset he and all local cooks are. Dallas food is what it is because of the diverse culture and talented people that put their soul in every shucked cob of corn.

No comments: